środa, 6 maja 2015

NIEPEŁNOSPRAWNY, NIEPEŁNOPRAWNY, DYSKRYMINOWANY?

Bardzo się cieszę, że w końcu mogę przedstawić Wam efekty współpracy ze RedakcjaBB.

Napisałam dla nich artykuł, który zawiera moje spostrzeżenia, uwagi i rady dla... tadam pełnosprawnych.
Otwórzcie oczy i się nie bójcie -> artykuł tutaj KLIK

And of course English version!

I am so happy that you all can finally read my article. About what? :)

Disabled, deprived of rights, discriminated?

You're on a bus, cross a road, sit in a cinema, dance in a club, and suddenly you see tumbling curls, brown eyes and sincere smile. You may think: „cool girl!”, but you also see something else – a wheelchair. What now? Do you feel surprise,  pity, indifference, or maybe interest? Or maybe you look away? What is your reaction, dear Reader?

I'm Marta.
At the very beginning I've already asked many important questions which need answers. Why? In order to fully understand my story and get a clear view of the things which might have been confusing. I'm not a journalist, a writer or a poet. I feel the need to share my vision of the world, which is rather unique and different. Here arises another question: why do I think so? I'm eager to explain. I'm disabled, since childhood I've been in a wheelchair, I am that girl with tumbling curls whom you may see in the street and in places where you wouldn't even expect to see a disabled person. If you happen to meet someone in a wheelchair in some crowded club, this might be me. If you see a disabled girl wearing high heels and red lipstick, this also might be me. I frequently act as a carrier, so if you notice a wheelchair laden with packages and a human being, this might be me as well.

I just live!
According to able bodied I break stereotypes, I am amazing because I live life to the full and... live? Right. I just live. I struggle with many problems, not only the health ones, but predominantly with those created by people around me which are a result of lack of reasonable thinking, and lack of simple empathy. I am a person who keeps a healthy distance to myself and my disease, I am nothing to be afraid of. Yes, I am different, because I'm in a wheelchair, but it's just – I like to call it that way – a technical inconvenience. My wheelchair is my legs and shoes and it doesn't define me as a human and a woman. I wear shoes too, don't worry, I don't walk barefoot. Yeah, I said „walk” because I don't really care whether you move using your legs or not, plus it would've sounded weird if I'd said „I ride wearing shoes”.

Anyway, back to the topic. I persistently continue to break stereotypes and open people's eyes, saying: I'm in a wheelchair but I am a human being, just like you. No disability takes away your humanity and makes you worse than others. I know how to appreciate what I have, I know how to be happy. All these I've learned thanks to my disability. It's ironic because my disease has taken a lot from me, especially my mobility, but it also gave me a lot. I know that it's difficult to believe in, but it's true. When I've started my blog, I began to pay more attention to what's happening around me. At one point I've realised how much I've got. I don't mean any material goods, but rather the spiritual ones. It's good to have money, but no matter how much you'd spend, you can't buy real friends, and more importantly, health. Sure, you can buy nice clothes, branded shoes, but if you're alone, no one will even tell you that you look good wearing them. I have a wonderful family, friends, I'm satisfied with what I do, I study what I'm interested in, I don't feel limited, I always try to find a way to be able to ski, dance, etc. What I believe in is that where there's a will, there's a way, and you need to be stubborn about your goals. It sounds beautiful but it's not always colourful. Why? Because there are stereotypes.

You can ask me what's the matter with me
Stereotypes about disabled people are always very interesting and I often find them hilarious. What do we have here? Disabled people stay home and do nothing because they're ill. You can't look at disabled people, even if they're attractive because they may think that you're staring at them because of their wheelchair or disease. And my favourite – disabled people can't be in relationships because they're...disabled, they can't have families, can't be parents. I could go on and on but everybody knows precisely what they are afraid of in contact with a disabled person. I often explain to people that they can ask me what I suffer from, that they can hug me when saying hello, that my friend pokes me whenever I'm teasing her. It's normal because I am not untouchable.
And finally, after this longish opening, I've managed to reach the crucial point – does someone's disability gives other people the right to discrimante them? Let me explain first what I understand by saying „discriminate”. It's a lack of thinking, openness towards other person and empathy. In my opinion it's the worst combination of personality traits. Everybody knows the proverb: „don't judge a book by its cover”. Are we really entitled to criticise, denigrate or avoid somebody only because they are black, homosexual, Jew or hipster? Our world is not inhabited by identical people, copies of one another, and that's what makes it beautiful. Ctrl+C, ctrl+V are used only on your keyboard, not in real world! Everybody's different and no one can forbid them to be so. I'm disabled and not ashamed. I have a right to live my life, take the advantage of opportunities, and on no account am I worse. It's not gonna sound very humble but very often I am the winner because despite all the problems I squeeze my life like a lemon, I am not passive, I don't complain. I appreciate what has been given to me and I think that it's one of the most important abilities in life.

To get rid of discrimination
Discrimination means ignorance and narrow-mindedness, lack of the ability to look at world and people without prejudices. It's my definition, perhaps not in accordance with dictionaries, but it's been created by my own experiences, therefore I think it's more valuable. I'd like to get rid of discrimination using my life stance, bright smile and sincerity. It's a difficult task because I am not able to reach everyone. This article is my another attempt – let me give it a nice name – an attempt to enlighten people, to make them see things they probably don't pay attention to every day. They don't pay attention to a person in a wheelchair who can't take their place on a bus because there's someone standing there with a suitcase, or someone else parks their car on a handicapped parking without being entitled to do so, and in some institution there is neither a ramp nor a lift, because nobody has thought that a disabled person may want to deal with some official matters. Or the kerbside is too high.
I am a witness to such situations almost every day. One of my friends has summed it up very accurately: „you don't pay attention that there is no ramp, that there are holes in the sidewalk and stairs don't annoy you until you go out with a disabled person. Marta, one day with you and my eyes are opened. I can see things which I didn't see before”.

More chill!
I am a person who keeps away from complaining and tries to fight against the negative image of disabled people which has been created because of stereotypes. I also try to fight against ignorance. Let's be open. It's not worth to limit yourself to things that are well known to you, and to push away and be afraid of people who are somehow different. You never know how much such a person can teach you (for example ME!)
We don't live to always follow patterns. Let's accept and tolerate those traits which make us different from one another. More chill! As one Polish ski jumper would put it: „chill yo a.. ekhem”. Let's not discriminate because, in fact, we do more harm to ourselves that to other people.
To all those people who feel unsure in contacts with such persons as me, I can say that I wish you meet someone disabled, because only then you will open your eyes. And if you read this article and meet me, I will feel really nice if you come to say hello because it would mean that my message reached somebody and you are another „enlightened” person. ;)

My name is Marta Zając,
I am disabled but not deprived of rights, and I say „no” to discimination.


translation: Beata Skiba

2 komentarze:

  1. Czesc Marto. Jestem pod wrazeniem. Bardzo dziekuje ci , za te emocje, ktore odczuwam teraz . Lilia

    OdpowiedzUsuń